For nine days in September, London provides the stage for thousands of exclusive designers and artists, corporations, associations and societies to come together to display their latest works. London Design Festival is an annual event, held to honor and promote London as the gateway to the international creative community. The Festival returns to venues and institutions across the city from 15-23 September 2018.
Throughout the Festival, we invite you to take a closer look at their diverse output, from the understated to the flamboyant, the commercial to the conceptual, and the practical to the improbable.
Some of the major events happening are Design Junction and 100% Design.
Olympia London | 19 – 22 of September
100% Design, known for being the largest event during the London Design Festival, is the host to award-winning architects, designers and makers and a curated selection of world leading brands. As the meeting place for business and design in London, the event includes installations, talks, and workshops for a diverse audience.
This year’s edition launches 100% Build London, a new showcase dedicated to procurement and resourcing for the construction and architectural industries. Other highlights for this year include the participation of interior architecture magnates YOO, who will co-host a talk and design showcase throughout the week.
With many industry heavyweights participating in this year’s talks and showcases, we recommend visitors the following events into their agendas:
- Hear Max Fraser in Conversation with Thomas Heatherwick, discussing the vision for Olympia London on the 19th of September at 11h. The talk will also include YOO’s Chairman John Hitchcox, and Heatherwick Studio’s Eliot Postma.
- Wallpaper magazine’s Digital Editor, Bethan Ryder, meets upcoming design star Ini Archibong, also on the 19th of September at 14h. They will explore the creative’s portfolio of work, emphasizing his interest in craftsmanship and enthusiasm over materials such as glass, marble, and leather.
- Two of architecture and design’s largest names – Dezeen and Yoo, host a live session on the 20th of September at 11h. Marcus Fairs, editor in chief of Dezeen will talk with YOO Creative Directors Kelly Hoppen MBE and Marcel Wanders, together with YOO Chairman John Hitchcox.
- Moreover, YOO will also be hosting a special showcase entitled “Creating communities and enhancing environments through design” where they will cover their approach to design and creating spaces, over the past 20 tears
- Visit lighting design and mid-century-modern inspired design specialists, Delightfull at stand L340, and learn how the combine past heritage and forward-looking creativity to create solutions for the emerging needs of the future.
Doon Street, London, SE1 9PU | 20 – 23 of September
Design Junction, happening for the eighth year, which attracted 28,000 visitors in 2017 – is set to transport to the cultural hub of London’s South Bank with a stellar line-up of leading international brands.
Launched in 2011 by a team of design industry experts, Designjunction connects the world’s most renowned design brands, with the world’s leading architects, interior designers, specifiers, and buyers. The event has firmly established its reputation for transforming some of the most exciting and ambitious locations in London into premier design destinations. In 2018, Designjunction will transport to the iconic and cultural South Bank, which attracts 25 million visitors each year. Surrounded by iconic architecture, Designjunction will expand over three sites; Doon Street site, Oxo Tower Wharf and
Riverside Walkway, all of which are owned and managed by Coin Street Community Builders.
The Doon Street site will house 200 international design brands and premium pop-up shops. This purpose built super-structure will be the largest and most ambitious build Designjunction has ever undertaken presenting furniture, accessories, lighting, and homewares in dedicated zones across two floors. The Riverside Walkway will showcase a series of outdoor installation projects, whilst Oxo Tower Wharf will host major brand activations, exhibitions, and experiential events.
Designjunction will showcase a stellar line-up of brands in 2018, including leading international names such as Erik Joergensen, New Tendency, Northern, Gemla, James Burleigh, Norr11, VitrA, Icons of Denmark and LSA alongside emerging designers Emma Cerasulo, Studio Anansi, Woven Form, Ystudio and Alex Orso.
See also Must visit at Decorex 2018 HERE!